Center for Computer Technology
SAIL offers training services to provide opportunities to learn and grow with technology that enables people to lead productive, independent lives. Through our state-of-the-art computer lab, SAIL HELPS to provide
- Orientation to Computers and Related Technology
- Training related to Internet and Cyber Safety
- Information on Computer Accessibility Features
- Instruction on Computer Software (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Training to use Adaptive Computer Programs (DragonSpeak, ZoomText, Jaws)
- Assistance with Job Seeking and Electronic Applications
SAIL SUCCESS STORY: An unemployed woman with limited computer skills requested computer training. She worked with SAIL staff on typing skills. She learned how to formulate letters, spreadsheets, graphs and slideshow presentations. During a subsequent job interview, she was able to demonstrate the ability to create a spreadsheet, and two days later she was offered the job.
What is CACT? CACT stands for The Center for Adaptive Computer Technology. SAIL’s computer laboratory houses all-in-one computers and tablets on which to learn computer skills. We also have a braille embosser with speech feedback. Leo Cox Beach Philanthropic Foundation helped us purchase our new computers.
We have free basic computer classes every Tuesday or Wednesday from 10 am to 12 pm. These classes are an introduction to computer systems class. They are for anyone. Participants choose either Tuesday or Wednesday for a 2 hour class each week for a session of 4 weeks.
- Week 1: Introduction to Microsoft Word ribbon button functions in Home Tab and an introduction to the other ribbon tabs.
- Week 2: Computer applications such as cut, copy, and paste, computer security, maintenance, a review of mailing envelopes and labels, how to save and retrieve a document and how to properly use a flash drive.
- Week 3: How to create a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel including writing a basic formula, and how to create a basic slideshow presentation in PowerPoint.
- Week 4: How to search the web and emailing.
Class sessions are held monthly throughout the year with each session beginning on the first Tuesday or Wednesday of the month. Participants are expected to attend all 4 weeks. Call 792-3537 to register.
SAIL also has SSA Express shorts on its computers in the CACT Lab and in Ballston Spa. This allows consumers to get 1099/1042 tax forms, appeal a decision on your application for benefits, apply for disability benefits, request a replacement Medicare card, etc. Call 792-3537 for an appointment.
Use our Technology Services!
We offer free computer classes and a computer lab.Contact us!